The Chosen: Shabbat, Rest, and Sabbath

 Matthew 11:28-30 

Shabbat is the Jewish calendar observance of the Sabbath. It is done in remembrance of God resting on the 7th day of creation. It is a observed and practiced as a gift from the Father because He knows that humanity needs a break and was not created or intended to run themselves ragged by constantly working 24/7. God understands our limits better than we understand our own limits sometimes. He is a loving gracious generous Father who wants the best for us in every way. He knows that we are weak and frail and human. God is an eternal being full of life, strength, power. He is all knowing and all present. All of the good things we have ever received come from Him, yet he took a break. If God knew that a break was necessary when He created the universe, we can follow His lead and know that He intends for us to be refreshed, renewed and recharged by observing Sabbath. He says to us in Matthew 11: 28 - 30, "Come to me all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Jesus isn't hiding his rest from us. He isn't hiding the good things that will recharge and refresh our souls. He said it plain as day: I am it. If you come near to me, I will give you my rest. He is not some deceitful, manipulative controlling psycho that wants to lead you on and disappoint you. He is the most open and honest person you will ever come into contact with. He requires basically nothing from us, except that we chose Him. Our free will is what gets in the way of us receiving everything He has for us. Jesus is just WAITING and BUSTING at the seams to SHOWER HEAVEN ONTO US. How come it doesn't happen in our lives? How come we don't see the good things in our personal life? Why don't we see God's kindness or provision or hope or love showing up in our boring painful dumb life? I would say that it is because we aren't looking for it, we aren't choosing to be near to God. I saw this church sign with this quote on it: If God seems far away, guess who moved?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evangelism: The Power of Testimony

CREATIVES: Enough

Spiritual Disciplines : Memorizing Scripture